African Association of Environmental and Resource Economists (AFAERE) Hybrid Conference
Conference Theme: Just Energy Transition in Africa
All forces need to be mobilized as the time to fulfil the pledges made in the Paris Agreement and Agenda 2030 is slowly passing away before a catastrophic calamity strikes humanity. It is urgent to secure a continent-wide, inclusive green transformation, with a focus on a low-carbon transition and gender equity. Never in human history has there been a need for such a quick and comprehensive set of social alterations, which is also a knowledge-intensive process. This means that to accelerate positive change, existing capability and expertise must be fully exploited. Energy transition becomes an important theme in the context of Africa given their differential impacts, lack of preparedness and vulnerability of African economies to such transitions.
Submission Guideline and Rules
You are invited to submit theoretical, empirical and policy papers dealing with the socioeconomic and environmental implications of energy transitions and policy trade-offs in Africa. Papers could address any or combination of the following topics:
- Modelling and understanding energy transition risks.
- The role of property rights in a just energy transition.
- The role of national and corporate governance in the transition towards affordable, greener, sustainable, and secure energy sources.
- The role of gender-energy initiatives in strengthening women and youth’s engagement, involvement, and leadership in a just energy transition.
- Options for financing a just energy transition in Africa.
Full papers are to be submitted at
The deadline for full paper submissions is 31 July 2023.
The Scientific Committee will evaluate all submissions with the help of peer reviewers. The last notification of acceptance of papers is scheduled for 31 August 2023.
The number of submissions per person is unlimited, but the maximum number of presentations in parallel sessions per person will be limited to two. Presenters must be duly registered for the Conference by 30 September 2023 for their papers to be included on the programme.
The notable international keynote speakers are published on the Conference website and these are:
- Prof Kelvin Chika Urama, Chief Economist and Vice President, Economic Governance and Knowledge Management complex, Africa Development Bank, email@example.com
- Alemu Mekonnen, University of Addis Ababa
- Faith Odongo, Deputy Director of Renewable Energy, Ministry of Energy, Kenya
- Prof Yonas Alem, University of Gothenburg, Sweden
Sponsorship and Support
Sponsors will be updated once we have received confirmation.
Conference registration and information on the registration process is available on the Conference website (https://afaere.org/conferences/).
Member R5470 (US$300)
Students R2700 (US$150)
Member R4500 (US$250)
Students R1800 (US$100)
AFAERE annual membership costs R450 (US$30) while triennial membership costs R1125 (US$75). We therefore encourage delegates to join and gain the benefits of the membership rate and access to the Association and its resources. To join AFAERE click on the link provided: https://afaere.org/membership/
AFAERE membership in the year 2023 is a requirement to attend the Conference. Non-members are requested to join AFAERE as part of the Conference registration process.
Dr. Nnaemeka Chukwuone, President, AFAERE
Prof Edwin Muchapondwa, University of Cape Town
Prof Johane Dikgang, University of Florida
Prof Wisdom Akpalu, Ghana Institute of Management and Public Administration
Dr. Selma Karuaihe, University of Pretoria
Prof Richard Mulwa, University of Nairobi, Kenya
Prof Ernest L. Molua, Executive Director · Centre for Independent Development Research (CIDR)
Dr. Herbert Ntuli, Secretary General, AFAERE, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr Mary Karumba, State Department of Economic Planning and Statistics, Government of Kenya, contact email@example.com
Dr Precious Zikhali, World Bank, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr Boscow Okumu, The National Treasury and Planning in the Government of Kenya, contact email@example.com
- 31 July 2023: Deadline for paper submissions
- 31 August 2023: Notification of acceptance of papers
- 30 September 2023: Registration deadline for presenters
For questions related to paper submissions, please contact the Scientific Committee at: firstname.lastname@example.org. For additional information about AFAERE 2020 please visit the Conference website at: https://afaere.org/submit-papers/. For questions related to AFAERE membership, please contact email@example.com